Joe McAlister is a computational artist and privacy advocate. His work focuses on themes encompassing metadata, security and embodied interaction, taking a particular interest in how technology can be used to aid progressive discussion. These subjects are approached using a variety of mediums, including programming, sculpture, projection and interactive theatre. Creating coherent pieces that seamlessly blend technology with fine art.
He has received commissions and awards from established universities, Goldsmiths, University of London and Kings College, London. He has directed and collaborated on works backed by leading studios and institutions across Europe. These include Saatchi & Saatchi, Arts Council England, Goethe-Institut, Research Councils UK and The Cabinet Office. He has sat on multiple panels discussing ethics and artistic practice in regards to artificial intelligence, including those held at IBM, hosting those at Goldsmiths, University of London. In 2018 it was announced Joe would become the youngest member to join the list of artistic fellows at Near Now, focusing on developing his research into personality-lead artificial intelligence.
If you have a question for me or wish to request my CV, please don't hesitate to reach out via email or twitter. If you want to talk privately, my public key is available here, Please also make sure to include a link to your public key so I can reply.
@portablestorm or joe(at)joe.ac
Media coverage, reviews, exhibitions & awards
- New Work: Crawley Borough Council funds new work ‘Mystic Joe’ for tour in 2019
- Guest lecture: Goldsmiths, University of London • 11th December 2018
- Performance: Shutdown! • Purley on Thames • 6th December 2018 10:30 & 19:00
- Performance: Shutdown! • UCL, London • 9th December 2018 12:00 & 19:00
- Performance: Shutdown! • Balham, London • 10th December 2018 12:00 & 19:00
- Review ★★★★★: The Justice Syndicate • “Enthralling courtroom simulation which cuts to the heart of what it is to be an informed voter” • The Stage
- Performance: The Justice Syndicate, Citizen of Nowhere, National Theatre of Scotland • 10th November 11:30 & 14:00 • 11th November 11:30 & 14:00 – National Theatre of Scotland
- Performance: The Justice Syndicate, The Herbert Art Gallery, Coventry • 17th November 11:00 & 13:45 • 18th November 12:15 & 14:15 – The Tin
- Performance: Shutdown! • Kings College • 1st - 2nd Novemeber
- Collider: Think Nation, Dundee • 7th November 2018 - 8th November 2018
- Symposium: Random String, Coventry • 16th November 2018
- Network: Joe joins European Connections in Digital Arts (EUCIDA)
- Performance: The Justice Syndicate, York Mediale @ York Theatre Royal - 2nd October 19:30 - 21:30 – York Mediale
- Performance: The Justice Syndicate, Kings College & London Southbank University, dates tba
- Residency: Arc Stockton - 8th July
- Fellowship: Near Now - July 2018 till July 2019
- Exhibition: Generation / Goldsmiths University of London June 7th
- Talk: Themselves Part II / Deptford Cinema, London 23rd June
- Award: Shortlisted / Hodgkiss Award 2018 - “Looking for Love”
- Exhibition: Exit Strategy / Goldsmiths University of London May 3rd - 8th (Private View 3rd) https://exitstrategy.gallery/
- Panel (hosting): “Art and curatorial strategies for exits”. With Ami Clarke, Bob Bicknell-Knight and Suhail Malik
- Exhibition: SPACE Mare Street April 5th - 13th 2018 (Private View 5th)
- Private Event: The Justice Syndicate (showing, 24 jurors), Kings College, London.
- Opening Panel “AI and its role in the creative process”: TECHnique’s IBM digital arts meetup hosted at IBM’s South Bank office, London